Fairtrade Fortnight might be over for another year but the buying doesn’t end there.
We hosted a Fairtrade wine tasting event to hopefully whet the appetite of some local businesses and encourage them to trade fairly.
The event was a big hit for all and just for your info the Soluna Premium Organic Malbec 2006 from Argentina was judged the favourite. (Available from Waitrose for under a tenner and well worth every penny).
Without wanting to turn it into a lecture, we did want to share with our guests our knowledge on Fairtrade and why we think it is a good thing to do. Here are some brief statistics you may not have known.
- 7.5 million people have benefitted to date
- There are 3000 Fairtrade products
- Fairtrade products are sold in 70 countries
- The UK is one of worlds leading FT markets topping 1 billion in sales
On a daily basis in the UK we consume:
- 9.3 million FT cups of tea
- 6.4 million FT cups of coffee
- 2.3 million FT choccy bars
- 3.1 million FT bananas
As well as sampling Fairtrade wine, we were very lucky to have a wonderful talk from Monica of Visionary Soap Company about their work supporting Fairtrade producers abroad, whilst benefitting local job training schemes in Hastings.
A big thank you to everyone that came and made the afternoon so enjoyable.